Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Math Assessments

I try very hard to make assessments a positive experience for my children.  I tell them that when they show me what they know it is to make sure that I have taught them what they need to know. If they don't know something it is MY job to make things more clear for them.

We made it through our 1st math assessment today!  WOOT-WOOT!  
The assessment will come home for you to review.  You may keep this copy.  Please feel free to go over it with your child and work on things that may still be tricky for them.

I will not put a grade on this, but you will see the items that are incorrect circled.
Of course I will be reviewing the material with your child until they are solid with the skills.
I really want the children to be explorers of math and to feel like mathematicians vs. children who just know rote math. 

A few notes:
1.  Part A of the test is to be mastered at this time.  Part B of the test is material we have just been exposed to and will be worked on more in following units.  This is not expected to be mastered.  
2.  The Open Response is a fun higher level thinking problem.  The children are encouraged to use any of our math tools to work on this section or any of the assessment sections. 
(number lines, pennies, white boards and markers,  and other math manipulatives)

After we worked on this problem for the assessment, we went over different ways some of us figured it out.  Many of them really enjoyed the challenge of such a problem.  All of the EDM assessments will have an Open Response problem for them to tackle.


Let me know if you have thoughts or questions!
Mary Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment