Monday, February 1, 2016

What's Up in Math?

As promised, I am going to attempt to find the time to share more of what is going on in math!  So much to say and share and never enough time to take the pictures and teach and blog!  

In first grade we use many different resources to teach from. I want to ensure that the children understand how numbers work.  Similar to my teaching of how words can be taken apart and put back together, I'm teaching the children how numbers can be composed and decomposed.  

We use many tools to accomplish this.  In our math tubs we have lots of manipulatives to help us discover how numbers work.  These include:  ten frames, base-ten blocks, unifex cubes in friendly ten wands, red/white counting chips. 

I will try to take more photos of these and how we use them, or feel free to drop by to take a look at them and learn with us if you get the chance.  Math is from 11:45-1:00 daily and I can always use more hands for differentiation!

We do critical thinking story problems every week and we are beginning to add 2 digit numbers in this work.  We also use learning games to help us grow, such as chess and checkers, number scrolls, fact game practice,  along with iPad math apps.

Abraham is working hard on his number scroll...a way to see patterns and create a number grid. Many are working on getting to a 1000! 

I think I'll close this note here and post another blog showing counting around the circle.  We love math challenges!  

No comments:

Post a Comment