Sunday, August 7, 2016

One Powerful Book!

 Every year it is so hard to choose what books to share at the start of the year.  Along with the my classroom library collection I like to gather great reads from the public library.  I place these books on the rug to entice my readers.

This year I decided to include wordless picture books now.
Here's why:
Meaning:  One of my big ideas for the year is making sure the children learn that to think, "what would make sense?"
in every subject they are working on. 

Wordless picture books force them to look at the pictures and think about the story. This is the best reading tool for them to use!

While reading this book before school last week I realized that this guy Hank has a problem to solve.  I want my students to know that mathematicians do the same.

So I put this story up on the doc camera as I introduced math for this year.  There are many different ways to solve a problem and showing perseverance on the journey is one of my goals for them.  Below are some pictures from the story that show how Hank persevered through his problem and how happy he felt when he succeeded! 

The children loved the book and they would enjoy sharing the pictures below with you!  Great discussions can come from just one book.  I'll be using it again and again.











No comments:

Post a Comment