Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Service Learning: Early Childhood Center Buddies


I am so excited to unroll our Service Learning Project with you!
We will buddy up with a class of preschoolers next door at the Early Childhood Center.  

You might be asking Why?  How? When? 

Here is the how and when.  Almost every month we will visit the school next door from 9:30-10:30 a.m.  I will pair up the children from my crew. Each team will have one preschool buddy to work with all year long.  We will begin this project on Thursday, September 25.  

There are multiple reasons for the why.
1.  Service Learning is a core practice of an Expeditionary Learning School.  We strive to grow children into kind, caring adults who make a difference in their communities.
2.  I have a serving heart which I acquired from my late mother.
She taught me the joy and benefits of giving myself to others.
I learned that you get as much back as you give out, if not more.
I want everyone to know and experience this joy!

My plans include the following.
Enduring Understanding:  Parts Impact the Whole
Essential Questions:  How does the role of teaching inspire a child in their own learning?  How does collaboration with the preschool affect our learning community as a whole? 

Stay tuned for pictures and details of our first meeting!
We will be practicing all of the 4 C's in this experience.
They are a part of our every day learning as part of DCSD.
The 4 C's include Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Communication, and Creativity.





No comments:

Post a Comment